The Failure of Prince Charming

The streetlight reveals her tragic face, the rain plasters her hair to her coat. Cold water drips down the back of my shirt and the wind makes me shiver, but I don't move. I can't move. It's not right to suggest the search for warmth.

It's times like this that make you remember that the world isn't fair, and no matter how many times you assure yourself that you'll do what you want and no one can stop you, there's always something that can stop you. Something that will crash on you and leave you stuck where you hate it most.

But this is different. Because it's not just a reminder, a warning, a scolding. It's not something I can just shake off like I've done before, saying that it won't ever be me. Like those times where you say you believe it, but deep down, or not so deep down, you don't believe it will ever happen to you.

This is different. It hits me right in the heart. I can't look away, believe that it won't happen to me though I hope beyond hope it doesn't.

"There's nothing I can do. I'd give everything up, everything, but I can't. And it kills me."

Heartbreak. That's what is on her face. Pure, but not simple.

"What am I supposed to do?"

I wish I knew. I wish I had an answer she could deal with. But there's nothing. She's trapped, and the only way, the only way, she can get out of it is if her prince comes and saves her.

But her prince isn't coming. He never will. We both know it, but we dance around the truth because neither of us can afford such a pricey thing.

The classic fairy tale with a dark twist, an impossible circumstance, and a player who doesn't wish to fill his part.

When we dreamed up our paths to happily ever afters, we never thought it would go this wrong.

0 comments:

Post a Comment